cxref - (nf)

dan at haddock.UUCP dan at haddock.UUCP
Sat Jan 7 14:41:16 AEST 1984

#R:mcvax:-557200:haddock:16800002:000:798
haddock!dan    Jan  5 19:31:00 1984

The subject under discussion was cross-referencers;
what I meant was that there was no program which would infallibly
find C functions in source and report the line numbers.  Generally
C compilers don't report the starting line number of each function they
compile.  Perhaps some C compiler's -g option puts the line numbers in the
symbol table; maybe it even gets the line numbers right, too.  Aside from
that possibility, there isn't any program you can trust to be right
no matter how weird the formatting convention (and it's the weird formatting
conventions that most badly need things like cross-referencers).  But ctags
came close enough to be usable, so I haven't pursued it.  I don't really need
my tools to be perfect, just good enough to get the job done.  I just
keep hoping.

		Dan