file access

gwyn%brl-vld at sri-unix.UUCP gwyn%brl-vld at sri-unix.UUCP
Wed Jan 18 00:15:23 AEST 1984

From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn at brl-vld>

Where have you been?  There is no security problem in reading
directories.  The only real problem is that UNIX directory format
is now variable, thanks to Berkeley.  To portably and easily access
UNIX directories, you should be using the new directory access
library routines available via net.sources or my independent
implementation (I do not like the Regents of the University of
California!) available for the asking (also part of the BRL UNIX
System V emulation for 4.2BSD).

This directory access library is something that should have been
done a long time ago, independently of the question of differing
directory formats.  I tried several months ago to get the Western
Electric development types interested in this issue but I have no
idea whether they have plans to provide the library routines with
future UNIX releases.