4.2 BSD Signals: A Proposal

gwyn%brl-vld at sri-unix.UUCP gwyn%brl-vld at sri-unix.UUCP
Fri Jan 13 06:56:17 AEST 1984

From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn at brl-vld>

I think perhaps you are attempting to bundle too many things together
that should be orthogonally selectable.  I would much prefer that the
state of the u_eosys flag bit RESTARTSYS be available to the signal
handler and that there be a way to turn off this bit before resuming
after the signal handler.  As with your proposal, any program not
using this added feature would obtain the distributed 4.2BSD
behavior.  This addition would permit the machine dependencies to
be removed from the signal(2) emulation that I previously posted,
so that "old style" UNIX signal behavior would be available simply
by using the signal() library routine, with no extra BSD-specific
kludge calls needed in user source code.