Disgusting kernel hack

Gregory R. Travis greg at isrnix.UUCP
Sun Jan 15 05:23:10 AEST 1984

  What is all this about 'paging tty drivers?'  That certainly doesn't go with
the UNIX philosophy of letting the kernel make as few real decisions of its
own.  So what if 'more' is a bit slow? It handles different terminal types,
does underlining and shading on terminals that can handle it, manipulates
files, searches for patterns, etc. I see no reason to load down the kernel
with additional code that could be better implemented in user-level
software!  As for an example of a 'filter' I can't think of a better
example of one than 'more.' Sheesh, first pipes weren't good enough, then
it was signals, now it's filters! Before you know it someone is going to
hardwire the shell into the kernel!

--
    Gregory R. Travis
    Institute for Social Research - Indiana University - Bloomington, In