re-issue reference manual

arnold at gatech.UUCP arnold at gatech.UUCP
Tue Jan 24 02:39:56 AEST 1984

Guy Harris (rlgvax!guy) would like to see the C reference manual re-issued.
I would like to see the second edition of "The C Programming Language" by
K&R published.  Are they working on it by chance?  If so, it would be a great
chance to clarify ALL the things that keep showing up here in net.lang.c
(and net.unix-wizards), once and for all.  I *know* that people at Bell Labs,
including the folks at ..!research are on the net and can get net.lang.c w/out
any trouble.  Us poor users should be able to get info straight from
the horses' mouth (so to speak, neither K nor R are horses, it's just
a cliche), instead of having to go and see what this or that compiler does.

	How about it research!K&R?  A 1978 book (probably written 1977) is
simply too outdated for the mid-1980's.  Have some pity on us.  We really
love C and Unix;  help us out!  K&R is still the standard, it should be updated
to reflect the real world and fix problems with the first edition.

	(On a cynical note: I bet Prentice-Hall would love it also!  C books
go for about $20 a shot around here)

---
Arnold Robbins
CSNET: arnold at gatech		ARPA: arnold.gatech at CSNet-relay
UUCP:	...!{akgua,allegra,rlgvax,sb1,unmvax,ulysses,ut-sally}!gatech!arnold