Disk partitions

v.wales%ucla-locus at sri-unix.UUCP v.wales%ucla-locus at sri-unix.UUCP
Thu Jan 19 10:11:32 AEST 1984

From:            Rich Wales <v.wales at ucla-locus>

It's fairly easy, by the way, to change the 8-partition-per-disk limit
in the drivers and related kernel code.  We did this at UCLA some time
ago; when we started using Eagles (400-meg Winchesters), we changed to
32 partitions per disk (and also changed the device names to look like
"/dev/up03.25").

There is a tradeoff, of course -- the number of drives per machine
times the number of partitions per drive cannot exceed 256 -- but this
hasn't presented any difficulty.

-- Rich <v.wales at UCLA-LOCUS>