no way to force local ether traffic onto the wire

cak at Purdue.ARPA cak at Purdue.ARPA
Sat Jan 14 06:16:00 AEST 1984

From:  Christopher A Kent <cak at Purdue.ARPA>

Bill,

When you have a network with only one host on it, you can't very well
bounce packets from another host. At the time I developed the mods, we
had cable problems in our main cable as well as hardware problems, so I
was running around connecting a transceiver with 2.5 meters of
terminated cable to each machine and trying to test for bad hardware.
It was immensely helpful.

It's a nice efficiency hack to go through loopback whenever possible,
but there should be a way to turn it off.

Cheers,
chris