origins of unix

ed at unisoft.UUCP ed at unisoft.UUCP
Thu Jan 12 12:21:48 AEST 1984

Genie was indeed an operating system developed at Berkeley
in the 60s.  It ran on the SDS (later XDS) 940.  It wasn't
particularly Unix-like, but I'm sure that there were good
ideas taken.  In particular, Genie is the genesis of qed,
the predecessor of our favorite editor, ed.  Among the things
that Genie had were command completion in its command
interpreter, and a good interactive Snobol4 system.  It
was a fun system.  It finally met its demise when a
construction crew building a new floor above the machine room
got too much sawdust into the drum.
--
Ed Gould
ucbvax!mtxinu!ed