Disgusting Kernel Hack

Dan Klein dvk at mi-cec.UUCP
Fri Jan 27 01:48:46 AEST 1984

Kernel Pagination?  BLEAH!!  I am sorry to inform you folks, but not all
of us like page mode terminal output.  Sure, sometimes I need it, and then
I do a |more.  And if I forget to do it, I use ^S/^Q.  I admit, it would be
very nice to be able to stop a job and redirect the output through "more"
once stopped.  I seem to remember some talk of that during Uniforum.  But
seriously, I *do* like having my output scream off the screen at 9600 baud,
since if there is gobs of output, I can *visually* scan for what I want.
The human pattern recognition system is a marvelous thing - I use it.  (Often
the patterns I want to find in a stream of output are too complex (i.e. multi
line) to be recognized by a paginator.  And when the output I am scanning is
a pile of debug printf's, I don't want to sit there banging the space bar to
bet a page at a time.  It slows me down too much.  So I vote against automatic
pagination unless I can unequivocably disable it when I want to.

		-Dan Klein, Mellon Institute, Pittsburgh