HELP me access a VAX CPU serial number from UNIX

Paul Cantrell paul at masscomp.UUCP
Sun Jan 8 06:33:42 AEST 1984

Sorry, but the CPU serial number on the 750 is rather useless,
because DEC changed the fields to be revision levels of the
hardware/firmware. While at DEC we had several software houses
complain because their programs would check the serial number
on a given machine, DEC would upgrade the machine, and the program
would now miscompare on the serial number register. I talked with
a friend who is a VAX microcoder, and together we realized that the
only serial number on the 750 is the label in the back of the cabinet.
Alas, we could devise no method to read this from a program.

				PC @ MASSCOMP