C Language Cross Referencing (survey)

sjh at Purdue.ARPA sjh at Purdue.ARPA
Tue Jan 31 02:12:14 AEST 1984

From:  Steve Holmes <sjh at Purdue.ARPA>

Bravo!  I am currently maintaining/developing a ~35000 line C program and
would love (read need) a good cross referencer.  As to the handling of
constants, I would always want them turned on.  (I'm not sure what you
mean by what 'kind' of constants).

On a different subject one thing which would be useful to me would be a
differentiation in the xref between the statements in the source which
define, reference and set a variable.  A function definition versus a function
reference would be easier but also useful.

for example

	static int x;			line 10
		.
		.
		.
	a = 2 * x;			line 40
		.
		.
		.
	x++;				line 50

would produce:

	x	<file>.c 10	set	50 <any other such lines>
				refs	40 <any other references>

I realize this could present problems for the xreffer to find and collect all
of the references for each individual 'x' and keep them seperate.  Multiple
declarations also exist for many variables.  My program has most variables
declared in one .h file,  declared as external in another .h file and then
some are allocated space in a .c file.

Looking forward to your product.

Steve Holmes
sjh at purdue