VAX/UNIX configuration - (nf)

andree at uokvax.UUCP andree at uokvax.UUCP
Sun Jan 22 13:57:16 AEST 1984

#R:sri-arpa:-1544200:uokvax:6200013:000:786
uokvax!andree    Jan 20 22:18:00 1984

I've got a tu80 and an ra81. As previously stated, Unix can make the tu80
go into streaming mode. If you don't mind having small file systems
(~40 meg) so you can do image backups, a plain vanilla dd will do the
trick. Since I don't have source, and don't have small file systems,
I'm still trying to figure out how to get backups to put the tape in
streaming mode (any help will be appreciated).

I'm going to play with this problem some more this weekend/next week. I'll
post results when I get them.

BTW - I asked the local DEC CE (there are apparently 4 750/tu80/r?8? flavor
systems around, all fairly new) if VMS provided a backup utility that would
use the tu80 streaming mode. The reply was "don't know." I translate that
as "probably not." Hard information is desired.

	<mike