more leaves terminal in ul mode (& NULL, the last word?)

kvm at basservax.UUCP kvm at basservax.UUCP
Thu Jan 12 15:33:35 AEST 1984

I suggest that you don't spend a lot of time worrying about --More--.
It has perhaps consumed more programmer effort than any other tiny
"write-in-an-evening" program that I have ever seen.  I have seen
numerous versions with various combinations of "fixes", they all
suffer from the initial bad design and implementation.  Do yourself
a favour and write yourself a scroller, even the humble BTL "p" will
bring you less pain.

I expect I should say something about null pointers too, you said:

	they'd checked some potentially null pointers before
	dereferencing them, but compared them to 0 instead of
	NULL, and...

I admit that saying 0 rather than NULL is bad style, but like it
or not, sport, 0 is NULL.  These folk stories about NULL may never had
begun if we had read our C Ref Mans.

7.7:	"A pointer may be compared to an integer only if the integer is
	the constant 0.  A pointer to which 0 has been assigned is
	guaranteed not to point to any object, and will appear to be
	equal to 0; in conventional usage, such a pointer is considered
	to be null."