Unix 4.2 BSD Raw Socket

KIRTON at USC-ISIF.ARPA KIRTON at USC-ISIF.ARPA
Tue Jul 3 05:17:00 AEST 1984

From:  Paul Kirton <KIRTON at USC-ISIF.ARPA>

I have had a couple of problems when using the raw socket interface
of our Unix 4.2 BSD system.

1. When i send packets on a raw socket that is not bound to a local address,
the system assigns the same source address (our Arpanet address) irrespective
of which output interface (we have one to Arpanet and one to ISI-net) is
actually used. According to the code, the address of the output interface
should be used in this case.

2. The first packet sent on a raw socket is routed correctly to its
destination, but any subsequent packets can only be sent to the same
destination network. This suggests that a route is only being looked up for
the first packet sent.

I have looked at the code, but cannot find why either of the above occur.
The code itself looks like it should do the right thing.

Can anyone shed any light on these problems?

Please reply direct to me (kirton at usc-isif.arpa) as i am not on this mailing
list.

Thanks,
paul.