3 ts-11s on a vax

Simon Kenyon simon at dice.UUCP
Fri Jul 13 04:54:30 AEST 1984

We have a vax-11/730, running 4.2bsd.
We bought an eagle on an emulex sc-31.
I decided that the ts-11 that we had would
probably not be able to cope with the eagle
and the r80, so we also bought a cipher
and an emulex tc-12. This of course does
not stream (it is the cipher cache streamer)
But more to the point, we then got a pertec
tape drive in for evaluation. So now we were
in the situation of having 3 tape drives on a
730. Sounds pretty ridiculous I know, but try
as hard as I could, I could not get all three
configured. The uto config code would prod the
first (the real ts-11), then the cipher, the
first tape on the tc-12, and then go back and
prod the real ts-11 again. By putting one or
two printfs in ts.c, I could see that the csr
address being given to it was 1, 2 and then 1
again (I think you will know what I mean by that)
By looking at the little used second parameter
to tsprobe (ctlr), the auto config code thought
that it was on the 3rd controller. I was baffled
and gave up after a while. I know that ts.c assumes
that there will only ever be two devices, but I created
an array of vectors. that is not the problem.

It is purely of interest to myself, as the third tape
drive has long gone, but I'd still like to know why.
Any suggestions.

Simon Kenyon
{ ...!decvax!mcvax or ...!vax135!ukc!edcaad } !dice!simon
lat 55 51 49 long 3 31 46