VT100/VT132 & ins/del line/char

Will Martin wmartin at brl-tgr.ARPA
Tue Jul 24 06:05:15 AEST 1984

Re adding printer ports to plain VT-100's:

Maybe everybody already knows this, but I thought I'd pass it along, as it
burned us when we got plain VT-100s with the printer-port option
installed: Adding this disables the sending of CTRL-s & CTRL-Q from
the keyboard down the communications line. This is not stated clearly
in the documentation (or wasn't several years ago when we got these).
The option snags the CTRL-S/CTRL-Q and uses them for controlling the
printer-port line. We needed to be able to send CTRL-Q down the line
to tell a TAC what speed we ran at; we found out that we had to go
into Set-up mode, do a Reset (key zero), and this would send a CTRL-S,
for flowcontrol while the reset was in progress, following up with a CTRL-Q.
That last CTRL-Q was caught by the TAC as required.

Will Martin
USArmy DARCOM ALMSA