making it on 4.2

lmc at denelcor.UUCP lmc at denelcor.UUCP
Sun Jul 15 05:27:59 AEST 1984

Just a general sort of a question here -- does anyone know what the effects
of uttering "make" would be for someone with super-user priviledges when
cd'd to /usr/src under 4.2bsd (assuming that the system had just been
brought up from scratch, and there exists enough disk space and so on)?
Would they get a whole bunch of "Allready made" messages?  Would everything
in the universe get recompiled?  Assuming it does the "right" thing, is it
smart about doing first things first, like libraries before utilities?
Would there be anything left of value afterwards?  Has anyone done it?
Does Berkeley actually use the top level make this way?

The reason for asking is that I want to hack into login the System 3 password
timeout stuff. In order to do this, I have to change pwd.h and recompile
everthing that includes it. Rather than fritter away a whole Saturday
finding all the utilities involved, I would like to just say "make" and
go fishing for the weekend (or longer?). But I'm afraid.

I'll certainly summarize replies to this, as there *have* to be others out
there who want to know but are afraid to ask. Providing I get any.

Thanks.
--
		Lyle McElhaney
		(hao,brl-bmd,nbires,csu-cs,scgvaxd)!denelcor!lmc