DC3/DC1 flow control

Schauble at MIT-MULTICS.ARPA Schauble at MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Sun Jul 8 06:28:00 AEST 1984

From:   Paul Schauble <Schauble at MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>

    From utcsstat!geoff
    "My main objection to DC3/DC1 flow control is that it is a negative
    acknowledgement scheme and certain brain-damaged terminals such as the
    DEC VT100 contain insufficient buffering to allow them to operate at
    high speed, especially when using smooth-scroll (which is too slow in
    the VT100). The problem is worse if the terminal driver attempts to
    use silo alarms rather than taking interrupts immediately upon receipt
    of incoming characters.

Perhaps you can settle a question for me.  When running such a terminal
driver at 19.2 kB, how much must the terminal be able to buffer after
sending the DC3?
          Paul