TELEX and UNIX - (nf)

johnl at haddock.UUCP johnl at haddock.UUCP
Tue Jul 3 13:43:21 AEST 1984

#R:arizona:-1243100:haddock:16800018:000:946
haddock!johnl    Jun 30 08:49:00 1984

There are several vendors that sell Unix - Telex interface packages
(we at INTERACTIVE do, for example.)  But if you just want to send a
few Telex messages now and then, I suspect that your best bet is to
sign up for one of the computerized store and forward mail systems that
interface to Telex, such as MCI mail or WU Easylink.

You communicate with such systems in ASCII via regular modems and phone
lines, so either you can use cu, dial out, and type the message by hand,
or write a program that automates the process by dialing out, logging
in, typing appropriate commands, waiting for prompts, etc.

It's pretty cheap, too.  I use MCI mail (id JOHNL, write any time) and
find that my Telex messages run about $1.00 apiece.  Easylink's pricing
seems about the same, although Easylink has a monthly minimum usage charge.

John Levine, ima!johnl

PS:  My own personal opinons here, not necessarily those of any
organization or sentient being.