XON/XOFF, VT100's, 4.2BSD and Unipress Emacs

Chris Hibbert chris at grkermit.UUCP
Mon Jul 9 07:51:49 AEST 1984

(I originally posted a similar query only to net.emacs.  I'm expanding
my question to include a kernel question, so I've expanded the group
list  as well.)

My basic problem is that vt100's, Unipress Emacs, and a new 4.2BSD
system are fighting amongst themselves about flow-control characters.
I've solved the problem within Emacs by increasing the padding so that
the terminal never generates a ^S there.  The problem now is that if
you use ^s (e.g. to do a search) within emacs, then when you leave
emacs, the terminal freezes in the middle of the first command with
reasonably long output.

I have been told (by genrad!john) that this is due to a bug in the tty
driver that causes it to record flow-control characters even in raw
mode.  He said that fixes were announced for 4.1, and he was surprised
that they weren't incorporated into 4.2.  Does anyone have a copy of
the fix they could send me?  Am I on the right track?

By The Way, is our problem related to the fact that all terminals
(except dial-ups) run at 9600 baud?

Thanks again,
Chris

decvax!genrad!grkermit!chris