/bin/sh feature?

Stephen J. Hartley hartley at uvm-cs.UUCP
Sat Jul 7 07:19:32 AEST 1984

Here is a "feature" of /bin/sh that tripped me up for a while.  A beer to
the first wizard to figure this one out (you have to come to Burlington, VT
to collect, though).  The following shell script does nothing, prints no
messages, and changes no files:

	: Daily uucp script
	: assumes you have subdirectories.
	: modified to save another day's LOGFILE
	SPOOL=/usr/spool/uucp
	mv $SPOOL/LOGFILE.old $SPOOL/LOGFILE.older
	mv $SPOOL/LOGFILE $SPOOL/LOGFILE.old
--
"If that's true, then I'm the Pope!"		Stephen J. Hartley
USENET:	decvax!dartvax!uvm-gen!uvm-cs!hartley	The University of Vermont