Help -- pic will not compile

phil at RICE.ARPA phil at RICE.ARPA
Sat Jul 21 10:25:22 AEST 1984

From:  William LeFebvre <phil at RICE.ARPA>

Oh no!  Don't misunderstand me.  This is not a distribution from
Berkeley!  I'm sorry if I implied that.  This is Bell's ditroff, but it
is not a System V distribution.  I tell Bell (I guess we have to say
"AT&T" now) that I want the ditroff distribution for machines running
Berkeley Unix and they send me the appropriate tape.  I am of the
understanding that it is a different ditroff than what one would get
for Sys V.  The Sys V one has compiled macros and fancy things like
that.  The version we have has had all that stuff stripped out (or
never put in).  Or am I completely off base here?

Let me make it "perfectly clear":  we are running (or trying to run)
the vanilla ditroff stuff with pic and ideal on a Vax 11-750 under
Berkeley 4.2.  It was running 4.1 when we originally installed the
distribution.  Okay?

Here is some more info on the problem.  I took a good look at pltroff.c
and empirically determined (in other words, guessed) that the missing
endif needed to go at the very end of the program.  I did that and it
compiled okay.  Someone please tell me it was the right thing to do!

I have also found one strange bug and one stupid mistake in pltroff.c,
but I want to get this ifdef ... endif stuff straightened out before I
say anything more.

                                William LeFebvre
				Department of Computer Science
				Rice University