Size of 4.2 Swap Spaces

obrien at CSNET-SH.ARPA obrien at CSNET-SH.ARPA
Sat Jul 7 10:07:03 AEST 1984

From:  Mike O'Brien <obrien at CSNET-SH.ARPA>

	I believe the increased size of the swap space merely reflects a
growth in the size of the "average" program run on a BSD system.  If you
didn't run out of swap (or even come close) under 4.1BSD, then you can
safely shrink the size of the swap partition under 4.2BSD.  In fact when
I did a 4.2 conversion recently I redid many of the partition sizes to reflect
the fact that our partition sizes under 4.1 didn't resemble the 4.2 partitions
in the slightest.  Of course, you should use "vmstat" or something similar
to determine how much swap you're actually using before you give any away.