need program to call me at home

Stephen J. Hartley hartley at uvm-cs.UUCP
Wed Jul 4 03:56:40 AEST 1984

  Without much foresight, I ordered measured service from New England Telephone
when I moved to Burlington, Vermont, last summer.  After the first hour of
local calls each month, I have to pay a cent or two per minute.  Now that I have
a 1200 baud modem and terminal at home, it is easy to spend half an hour or so
per day calling my friendly VAX.  A little arithmetic tells me that soon I will
be paying much more than if I had ordered the unlimited service even though it
has a higher basic rate.
  I would like to know how I can have my friendly VAX, running 4.2 BSD, return
my calls.  Has anybody done this?  What I need, I guess, is a program that I
can invoke, then logout and hang up the phone.  This program will use our VAX's
autodial modem to call me at home.  When my modem answers, the program will
spawn a shell (or getty) for me.  Does anybody know the details of doing this?
Our VAX, fortunately, has unlimited telephone service!
--
"If that's true, then I'm the Pope!"		Stephen J. Hartley
USENET:	decvax!dartvax!uvm-gen!uvm-cs!hartley	The University of Vermont