UNIX error message set wrong on open "file1/file2"

ShanklandJA opus at drutx.UUCP
Sat Jul 7 08:00:33 AEST 1984

    > Any reason why open("file/file") should return EACCES [rather
    > than ENOENT if the first file exists, but is not a directory]?

Yeah (or at least, sort of).  If the first file didn't have execute
permission set, it wouldn't be "searchable" as a directory.  Granted,
it would probably be clearer if the kernel checked whether 'file1'
was a directory BEFORE checking the permission bits to see if it could
be searched, rather than after; but I'll be willing to bet that's exactly
what's happening.

Jim Shankland
..!ihnp4!druxy!opus