Is the restricted shell really secure?

The WITNESS bsafw at ncoast.UUCP
Tue Jul 31 01:28:38 AEST 1984

On a related question:  we have implemented a restricted filesystem-cum-shell
by means of a program that does a Xenix chroot() syscall and then execs the
shell.  But the only way to make it really secure, that I can see, is to break
the '..' link in the restricted root.  Anyone see a way that won't get fsck
upset?

For those (a majority, I would guess) without chroot system call:  it causes
the current process to consider / to point to the directory named in the call.
The program that we use does this:

		main() {
			chroot("/ROOT");
			chdir("/usr/guest"); /* actually /ROOT/usr/guest */
			setuid(GUESTUID);
			setgid(GUESTGID);
			execl("/bin/tsh", "tsh", 0);
		}

Thanks for any help you can provide.
--
		Brandon Allbery: decvax!cwruecmp{!atvax}!bsafw
		  6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, OH 44131

		  Witness, n.  To watch and learn, joyously.