4.2BSD DMF32 DMA driver experience, anyone?

Bill Shannon shannon at sun.uucp
Wed Jun 27 14:27:21 AEST 1984

When I wrote the original DMF driver at DEC, I did some crude
measurements with and without DMA on a VAX-11/730.  At that
time, with a prototype DMF-32, my measurements showed that it
was more efficient* to not use DMA.  That's why the DMA code is
commented out in the distributed driver.  (The code used to
work under 4.1 but was probably not modified for 4.2.)  Has
anyone done any measurements recently with real and look-alike
DMF's and other cpu types?

				Bill Shannon
				Sun Microsystems, Inc.

* more efficient == greater number of aggregate characters per second
with less cpu overhead.