vt100 insert and delete line

guy at rlgvax.UUCP guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Sat Jun 16 13:03:56 AEST 1984

> i thought that insert and delete line was standard on
> vt100 (and vt100 compatible terminals.)

It isn't.  My terminal is a VT100 (made by DEC - or, if it isn't, I can
get the manufacturer into a hell of a lot of trademark trouble) and it has
no such feature.

It exists on some VT100-family terminals from DEC (but not the VT100), it
probably exists on some VT100-compatible terminals, and it exists on VT100s
with the printer port option.

I suspect your EDT knows that it's not running on a vanilla VT100.  There is
an "edit mode" flag, settable with the SET TERMINAL command and gettable,
at least, with some QIO function, which says that the terminal supports the
ANSI standard insert/delete line/character functions.  It probably looks at
that.  Either your VT100s are non-standard and it is sending those sequences,
or they are standard, that flag isn't set, and EDT sees that fact and doesn't
use insert/delete line.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy