unix kermit

guy at rlgvax.UUCP guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Thu Jun 28 07:32:34 AEST 1984

> Don't, DON'T use the stty/gtty calls in the UniSoft System III/V
> implementations. The code that is in the kernel to support this is an
> AT&T hack to attempt backward compatability and it does not work correctly
> in all cases.

AT&T intended backwards compatibility with the (unreleased) UNIX/TS 1.0 and
PWB/UNIX 2.0; unfortunately, it screws the rest of us who would rather be
backwards compatible with V7.  It can be changed to be V7-compatible, and
we've done that on our systems.  It still won't work correctly in all cases,
because the RAW bit in the V7 driver corresponds to several bits and fields
in the USG driver, and if some were in the RAW state and some in the cooked/
CBREAK state before entering RAW mode, when you come out of RAW mode you won't
be in the same state you were in before entering it.  (And other similar
problems.)

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy