Emacs and XON/XOFF

buck at NRL-CSS.ARPA buck at NRL-CSS.ARPA
Fri Jun 29 08:10:49 AEST 1984

From:  Joe Buck <buck at NRL-CSS.ARPA>

If you have Gosling's Emacs (a.k.a. UniPress Emacs) for a bsd system, it's
easy to modify it to use XON/XOFF (this was necessary here because we plan
to use a terminal line concentrator that automatically does XON/XOFF flow
control). Basically, you do the following:

In dsp.c, change the switch to RAW mode to a switch to CBREAK mode. Then
turn off all special characters except ^S and ^Q. I also switch to the new
tty driver and set literal-next to ^\, which seems mnemonic for Unix/C types
and is unused by "raw" Emacs. Now to do a search-forward, the user says ^\^S
(Emacs will just see the ^S).  Or he/she can bind the function (as well as
quote-character and write-current-file) to any other key sequence.  Don't
forget to save and restore the old special characters.

I don't know about distributing my mods since I'm not clear on the licensing
situation. We initially got Gosling's when it was public domain, but then
paid UniPress for their version. In any case, it's easy to do.

-Joe