VT100 insert/delete line

barmar at mit-eddie.UUCP barmar at mit-eddie.UUCP
Tue Jun 26 15:59:57 AEST 1984

In article <1008 at sri-arpa.UUCP> ccdan at ucb-vax.ARPA writes:
>From:  System Manager <ucdavis!ccdan at ucb-vax.ARPA>
>
>ok, i've finally got the scoop on this one.  vanilla
>DEC vt100's do NOT have the insert/delete functions.
>
>the vt101, vt102, etc, plus the vt100 with advanced
>video options or printer port options do have them.
>
>--dan dorough, computer center, uc davis, davis, CA 95616
>               ucbvax!ucdavis!ccdan    (916) 752-0235

Close, but not quite right.  The Advanced Video Option doesn't give you
insert/delete lines/chars; most of the VT100s I have used have had
Advanced Video, but they didn't have ins/del.  I don't know about the
printer port.

The only way in which the vanilla VT100 is better than other VT1xx
terminals is that it requires the least padding of all of them.  Since
the VT100, the first video terminal that DEC produced that required less
padding was the VT200 series, released this year.  It (finally!)
requires NO padding.  The VT132 (the first VT100 followon) required
amazing amounts of padding, even on cursor motion!
--
			Barry Margolin
			ARPA: barmar at MIT-Multics