VT100 and bagbiting

mab at aids-unix.ARPA mab at aids-unix.ARPA
Fri Jun 29 05:40:56 AEST 1984

From:  Mike Brzustowicz <mab at aids-unix.ARPA>

EMACS was designed and implemented BEFORE XON/XOFF came into this usage.
Rather say that de facto industry standards should work well with existing
software.  I don't use vi, so I don't know for sure, but I believe it works
with XON/XOFF just fine.  (As far as I know, it doesn't use control
characters for commands.  EMACS's usage of controls and metas for commands
dates to its development at what is now MIT's LCS, on the ITS (Incompatible
Timesharing System), using the Knight "terminals", which didn't really use
ASCII.)

-Mike