Incremental backup needed for System V

Bob Van Valzah bob at ihnss.UUCP
Sat Jun 23 06:03:19 AEST 1984

We will soon be adding 3 RA-81's ( > 1 gigabyte) to one of our
System V machines.  Backups by volcopy to tape would be untenable.
We see incremental backups as inevitable.

We tried using finc and frec, but they try to read all the inodes
into core and that doesn't work with reasonable sized filesystems
(say 160Kb).

Has anybody got a good incremental backup scheme that will work in
the limited virtual memory space (1Mb) of System V?  Please send
all leads.  I'll end up porting Berkeley's dump and restore
commands if someone else hasn't already done so.

	Bob Van Valzah
	Consultant to AT&T Bell Labs  (312) 979-3632  ..ihnp4!ihesa!bob
	Employed by   Lachman Assoc.  (312) 986-8840  ..ihnp4!laidbak!bob