More info on Maryland Windows

chris at umcp-cs.UUCP chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Sun Jun 10 08:17:02 AEST 1984

I'm getting so many requests, that I'm reposting the "official
announcement".  By the way, this stuff is running under 4.1BSD;
we haven't tried to port to anything but 4.2.  Windows itself
ports to 4.2 with only changes to the signal code.

Greetings:

     This is to announce the availability of the Univ of  Maryland
software  distribution.  This includes source code for the follow-
ing packages which are currently running on  a  VAX  11/780  under
Berkeley UNIX(tm) 4.1:

(1)  The flavors package written in Franz Lisp.  This package  has
     been  used successfully in a number of large systems at Mary-
     land, and while it does not implement  all  the  features  of
     Lisp  Machine  Flavors,  the features present are as close to
     the Lisp Machine version as possible within  the  constraints
     of  Franz  Lisp.   (Note  that Maryland flavors code *can* be
     compiled.)

(2)  Other Maryland Franz hacks including the  INTERLISP-like  top
     level,  the  lispbreak  error handling package, the for macro
     and the new loader package.

(3)  The YAPS production system written in Franz  Lisp.   This  is
     similar  to  OPS5  but  more  flexible  in  the kinds of lisp
     expressions that may appear as facts and  patterns  (sublists
     are  allowed  and flavor objects are treated atomically), the
     variety of tests that may appear in the left  hand  sides  of
     rules  and  the kinds of actions may appear in the right hand
     sides of rules.  In addition, YAPS allows multiple data bases
     which  are  flavor  objects  and may be sent messages such as
     "fact" and "goal".

(4)  The windows package in the form  of  a  C  loadable  library.
     This  flexible package allows convenient management of multi-
     ple contexts on the screen and  runs  on  ordinary  character
     display  terminals  as well as bit-mapped displays.  Included
     is a Franz lisp interface to the  window  library,  a  window
     shell  for  executing  shell processes in windows, and a menu
     package (also a C loadable library).

(5)  The phone program.  This is a facility to allow two  or  more
     users to type messages to each other in separate windows on a
     tty screen.  It uses the Maryland window  package  and  CMU's
     IPC facility.

(6)  The calend program, an appointment calendar  maintainer.   It
     uses  a user file of reminding messages and dates for remind-
     ing, and can notify a user by messages printed to his  termi-
     nal, sending them mail, or nagging them to get off the termi-
     nal at a certain time  of  day.   It  allows  one-time  only,
     weekly,  bi-weekly, monthly, yearly and other similar methods
     for being reminded.

(7)  The bbd program, a multiple  bulletin  board  system  loosely
     based  on  the 'msgs' program.  It accepts character-oriented
     commands and allows user-definable bulletin-boards.

(8)  Rzasm, a relocating Z80 cross-assembler.  Running on the  vax
     it  puts  out  ld-style  object files.  Its features include,
     among others: free-form  input;  (very)  long  variable/label
     names;  conditional  assembly; macros (in 'm4' format); digit
     labels; global, external, common and  local  common  declara-
     tions;  data and text segments; support of the "undocumented"
     Z80 instructions (that work on high  and  low  bytes  of  the
     index  registers separately); expressions using C syntax; and
     string constants.

(9)  Zrun, a z80 microprocessor  simulator.   Zrun  simulates  the
     execution  of  a  z80  with 64k RAM, as directed by user com-
     mands.  In addition to the essential commands that  cause  an
     rzasm  object  program  to  be loaded and executed, there are
     commands to examine and  set  registers,  flags,  and  memory
     locations, to set a breakpoint, to single-step through a pro-
     gram, to re-direct the flow of data through  the  z80  ports,
     etc.

We also include Franz Opus 38.26 in the distribution since  it  is
easier  to  do that than to describe the dozen or so small changes
that we have made to the Franz  sources.   We  will  be  upgrading
eventually  to  a  more  recent  version of Franz when we make the
switch from Berkeley 4.1 to 4.2.

How to obtain a tape
--------------------

     To obtain the Univ of Maryland distribution tape:

(1)  Fill in the form below and sign it.

(2)  Make out a check to "University of Maryland  Foundation"  for
     $100 in US currency, mail it and the form to:

                   Liz Allen
                   Univ of Maryland
                   Dept of Computer Science
                   College Park MD 20742

(3)  If you need an invoice, send me mail, and I will get  one  to
     you.   Don't  forget  to  include your non-electronic mailing
     address.

Upon receipt of the money, we will mail you a tape containing  our
software  and  the  technical reports describing the software.  We
will also keep you informed of bug fixes via electronic mail.   We
have an electronic mailing address for this kind of thing.  It is:

         Usenet:      ...!seismo!umcp-cs!um-software
         Arpanet:     um-software%umcp-cs at CSNet-Relay
         CSNet:       um-software at umcp-cs

Please note that bug fixes will be done only insofar they are con-
sistent with the research purposes of the University of Maryland.

     If you have any technical questions, etc, send  mail  to  the
above  mailing  list.   If  you have any administrative questions,
contact Diane Miller via electronic mail:

           Usenet:      ...!seismo!umcp-cs!despina
           Arpanet:     despina%umcp-cs at CSNet-Relay
           CSNet:       despina at umcp-cs

or via phone at (301) 454-7690.

                              Liz Allen

                              Usenet:      ...!seismo!umcp-cs!liz
                              Arpanet:     liz%umcp-cs at CSNet-Relay
                              CSNet:       liz at umcp-cs

In exchange for the Maryland software tape, I certify to the  fol-
lowing:

a.   I will not use any of the Maryland software distribution in a
     commercial product without obtaining permission from Maryland
     first.

b.   I will keep the Maryland  copyright  notices  in  the  source
     code, and acknowledge the source of the software in any use I
     make of it.

c.   I will not redistribute this software to anyone without  per-
     mission from Maryland first.

d.   I will keep Maryland informed of any bug fixes.

e.   I understand that the software I will be receiving  has  been
     developed  for  research  purposes  only  and may be good for
     absolutely nothing.  The University  of  Maryland  offers  no
     warrantys  of  any kind.  Bug fixes will be done only insofar
     they are consistent with the research purposes of the Univer-
     sity of Maryland.

f.   I am the appropriate person at  my  site  who  can  make  the
     guarantees in parts a through e.

     Signature:                 ____________________________________

     Electronic mail address:   ____________________________________

--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci (301) 454-7690
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at maryland