VAX-11/750 rev 6 upgrade

Chris Boylan boylan at dicomed.UUCP
Sun Jun 3 05:05:34 AEST 1984

I talked to our local DEC people about our repeated crashes
due to double tbuf parity errors, which are not handled by
4.2bsd.  According to them, rev 6 of the 750 will completely
fix this problem.  Rev 6 can apparently be ordered (they are
ordering it for our leased machine) and will involve 6 board
swaps and new microcode.

This isn't terribly exciting since most of what I heard from
them I have heard elsewhere (including this network) before, but
they also said that a method has been devised to allow UNIX to
be able to load the microcode patches at boot time from the console
cassette.  It would appear that 750 w/unix would always boot from
the cassette and that it will length the reboot time by 3 minutes
(their figure).

Has anyone heard more about this?  Beta sites?  DEC people?
--

	Chris Boylan
	{mgnetp | ihnp4 | uwvax}!dicomed!boylan