IBM-PC's running unix Re: ...(torrid flame)

Don Coleman coleman at sdcsvax.UUCP
Sat Jun 30 05:41:25 AEST 1984

  This fellow jumped to a couple conclusions.  I'll make my rebuttal
point by point.

	From: tbray at mprvaxa.UUCP (Tim Bray)
	Subject: Re: IBM-PC's running unix...(torrid flame)

	Let me get this straight.  FIRST, you decided to standardize on
	the IBM PC as your diskless workstation, THEN you went looking
	for some system software that would work on it.

No, you got that crooked.  We *already* have a lot of IBM pc's.  We currently
are using them as diskless workstations running UCSD P-system 4.1.   We have
decided to *convert* over to UNIX.  The IBM pc's were donated by IBM, and
even the University of California has buget limitations: so we are trying to
make do with what we already have.  If we were going to settle on *new*
equipment, then we would probably go with the new AT&T pc, BUT our IBM pc's
are now about two years old, and *already* paid for!

	This was the kind of Big Blue myopia that I thought I had escaped
	by fleeing into the UNIX(tm) world.

This is a shot in the dark, and doesn't apply to us because his premise is
faulty.

	The IBM PC has an underpowered processor, a brain-damaged bus design,
	a truly execrable keyboard, and a fabulous marketing organization
	behind it.

This is very very true.  I couldn't agree more.

	The rest of this industry may be willing to centre their lives around
	third-rate architectures and 1960's design philosophy because they have

				I-B-M

	tatooed across their foreheads, but I WON'T!!!!!!!
	Tim Bray  {decvax!microsoft!, ihnp4!alberta!} ubc-vision!mprvaxa!tbray

Now he's just frothing at the mouth.

---
don 						"The Back to Hack Kid"
   coleman at sdcsvax.ucsd
   sdcsvax!coleman at berkeley.arpa
   [ ihnp4|decvax|ittvax|ucbvax ]!sdcsvax!coleman.uucp

--
---
don 						"The Back to Hack Kid"
   coleman at sdcsvax.ucsd
   sdcsvax!coleman at berkely.arpa
   [ ihnp4|decvax|ittvax|ucbvax ]!sdcsvax!coleman.uucp