UNIX V 11/70 vs VAX HELP !

gwyn at brl-vgr.UUCP gwyn at brl-vgr.UUCP
Fri Jun 8 07:46:01 AEST 1984

Sorry, I can't readily mail to UUCP sites...

The performance of UNIX System V on the supported CPUs is given in the SRD.
The PDP-11/70 is shown as having about 55% of the throughput of a VAX-11/780.

If you're going to run UNIX System V on a VAX-11/780 you are advised to get
a KMC11-B to drive your DZ11s for much improved terminal i/o.

Also from the SRD:  The PDP-11/70 is "fully supported" but does not have:
	- flexnames and corresponding object/archive format
	- job control ("shl", sxt)

I have also found that (at least in Release 1) the PDP-11 "f77" is an older
version, since the newer version was too big for the PDP-11 (recall that
AT&T UNIX does not support user-mode text overlays).  Indeed, the main
problem with the PDP-11 is its limited (64Kb I + 64Kb D) process address
space.  It is also supposed to be out of production by DEC.