getc() != EOF

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Fri Jun 1 08:21:34 AEST 1984

> (Now if you state that all {\it civlized} compilers default to signed
> characters and allow {\tt unsigned char} datatypes, I will agree.)

Well, on some machines supporting signed characters is painful; if the
machine's byte manipulation instructions don't extend the sign bit, a
program with "char" could involve more instructions than one involving
"unsigned char".  (Always using "unsigned char" isn't a fix, either; on
some machines (like the PDP-11), "unsigned char" requires more code than
"char".)  (Our machines all have signed characters, by the way.)

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy