Generic mc68000 port

Esa K Viitala esa at kvvax4.UUCP
Fri Jun 15 00:50:49 AEST 1984

[]
Some weeks ago I posted an article, in which I asked for any
info about a rumor of AT&T preparing the announcement of
some sort of "Generic MC68000 Unix Port".
Here's the promised summary of the answers I got.

	I don't think they have a M68000 sV.2 version yet. The version they
	have is sV.1 (or whatever number the first version has). I think
	it will be some time before they have a 2.0 version for the 68000,
	a time frame I have heared is 1Q85.

	Thinking of all the problems we have had to find out who we can get
	the sV/68 source from and what licences we need, the actual port
	seems to be a minor, simple, technical problem.

	The UNIX* System V/68000 is a System V release 1 version of the UNIX
	operating system. It runs on an EXORMACS box (68000-based).
	THe source code can be ordered from AT&T (as with any of our UNIX system
	products) and the media can be 9-track tape or EXORMACS-readable
	winchester disks. I am not sure what media Motorola intends to support.

	If you want specific details (e.g. price, available dates, licensing
	arrangements, etc) you should contact the sales office in N. Carolina, USA.
	The number is 1-800-828-UNIX.

	Motorola is also advertising the product with their specific enhancements.
	You should contact them for their product details.

	The port is indeed delayed.  If Motorola can come up with a binary version
	that can be reconfigured for different I/O configurations WITHOUT having
	sources for the kernal etc. it will probably be out this fall.  The problem
	is not insoluble as DEC has done just that with their ULTRIX binary licences.
	I would expect the price to still be in the 10K$ range but that's just a guess.

I'm still interested in any additional info, so if you have
anything worth adding, please, mail me or post it to the news.
There were some others, too, who were interested in the subject
and had found it awfully painful to get any information about
it.

AT&T sales people, Motorola people? Are you listening?
--

   Esa K Viitala  {decvax,philabs}!mcvax!kvport!kvvax4!esa
   A/S Kongsberg Vaapenfabrikk,CTG4,P.O.Box 25,N-3601 Kongsberg,Norway