USENET line eater?

brian at sdccsu3.UUCP brian at sdccsu3.UUCP
Tue Jun 12 10:36:45 AEST 1984

Arrgh.

The original news line eater bug was simply this: when the first
character of the body of the message was whitespace, the first 1024
bytes or so of the message were dropped.

One fix to this cured the problem UNLESS the first character was a tab.
In those cases, the messages with spaces for indentation on the first
line, or with a null line (ie, the first character was a newline) would
get through ok, but then one with a tab would get lost.

Most sites should have fixed it by now, unless they either can't (do
binary-only sites have it fixed yet?) or don't care.  The number of lost
lines has dropped but as recently as a couple of days ago I saw one.
(Yes, I sent them mail).

Does this help people understand what was going on?

--
	-Brian Kantor, UC San Diego

	ihnp4 \		Kantor at Nosc
	decvax \
	akgua   -----  sdcsvax  ----- brian
	dcdwest/
	ucbvax/

"I'll never be cruel to a gin and tonic again!"