f77, there were bugs, but that wasn't one

Sean Byrne scb at philabs.UUCP
Wed Jun 27 16:41:01 AEST 1984

Sorry for my flame on Berkeley's f77 compiler.
The bug was traced down to (as always) DEC.

Our 780 was upgraded to Rev. Level 7, but as we didn't have
any console floppies that were rev 7, they left a jumper in
that still says that it is rev 5.  Anyway, "Dec removed the
jumper" and it was supposed to be rev 7.  And they told me
that the FPLA WCS VERSION MISMATCH didn't really matter.
"It must be just one of the modules that's not fully rev 7."
they said.  Ha!  When Donn Seeley mentioned, from looking at
my efforts to root out the bug, that I should run diagnostics
or maybe the micro code revision levels are wrong.  Bells go
off on the recesses of my mind.  And I rebooted using my old
rev 5 floppy.  (they did bring us a rev 7 floppy)  And now
everything works fine. (Hopefully).

To all of you who responded, thanks, and thanks for the bug
fixes to the distributed f77 compiler.

--
USENET-	      ....		Sean Byrne
4 years	    .  /\  .		CSRG, Philips Laboratories