Orphaned Response - (nf) - (Flashing lights.)

Bob Gray bob at hwcs.UUCP
Thu Jun 21 03:51:10 AEST 1984

> This is one of my pet peeves.  It seems someone somewhere high in the
> computer marketing cartel subscribed to by all manufacturers decided
> that flashing lights are bad for us.  Why?????

I agree. Two of our machines here have little LEDs on their
CPU boards. The first thing I do if one of them dies is to
open the front of the machine and see is going on. Very useful
when running in single user mode and you are not getting any
replies from the console.
Another of our machines has a number of lights on the front
which report disk activity. You can tell what stage of the
boot procedure it is at (before anything appears on the console)
by the pattern of the lights. If something goes wrong it saves
a lot of time knowing at what stage it went wrong.
						Bob Gray.
						Dept. of Computer Science.
						Heriot-Watt University.