VMS/UNIX mail transfer - (nf)

wunder wunder at wdl1.UUCP
Thu Jun 21 04:25:39 AEST 1984

#R:elecvax:-24600:wdl1:17100002:000:2296
wdl1!wunder    Jun 20 10:26:00 1984

For transfers between Unix, VAX/VMS, RSX, etc. I reccomend KERMIT.
It is a reasonably fast, and stable (doesn't hang).  Recent versions
have a server mode, so that you can call up and do business with your
KERMIT, just like uucp (well, almost).  We get KERMIT file transfers
at ~6000 bits/sec over a 9600 baud line, compared to FTP/TCP/IP/DDCMP
file transfers at ~8000 bits/sec over 9600.  For more info about KERMIT,
get in touch with Frank da Cruz at Columbia University computer center.

It is worth bringing up KERMIT.  It is good stuff, and available for
anything from an Apple II to a CRAY X-MP.

Here's the most recent scoop on getting KERMIT:

Date: Fri 15 Jun 84 12:00:00-EDT
>From: Frank da Cruz <CC.FDC at COLUMBIA-20>
Subject: New Kermits, How To Get Them
To: Info-Kermit

This issue of the Info-Kermit digest contains announcements of several new
KERMITs.  For the benefit of those who are new to the Info-Kermit list,
and to refresh the memories of those who aren't, here's how to get the
KERMIT files:

ARPANET/Internet
  Use FTP, connect to host COLUMBIA-20, login as user ANONYMOUS with any
  non-null password, and GET (or MULTIPLE GET) the files you're interested
  in.  Anonymous FTP access to COLUMBIA-20 is allowed only after 6:00pm and
  before 6:00am.

CCNET (DECNET hosts at Columbia, CMU, CWRU, NYU, Stevens, and (soon) Vassar):
  Use NFT to COPY the desired files from CU20B::KER:.  If you're on a VAX,
  just use the COPY command.  Specify /USER:ANONYMOUS.  If CU20B does not
  grant you anonymous access, ask your system manager to get the files.

BITNET:
  On an IBM VM/CMS system, type the command SMSG RSCS MSG CUVMA KERMSRV HELP
  to get instructions for how to use the Kermit server at host CUVMA.  There
  is usually a delay between the announcement of a new version of Kermit and
  its availability on BITNET, because each file has to be painfully screened
  and possibly processed to fit the requirements of our RJE link.

Other networks like USENET, MAILNET, etc, or if you're not on a network:

  Send mail to Info-Kermit-Request at COLUMBIA-20, or to:

    KERMIT Distribution
    Columbia University Center for Computing Activities
    612 West 115th Street
    New York, N.Y.  10025

  and we'll send you flyers explaining how to order a distribution tape.