Why does the S5 init run "/bin/su" in single-user mode

Alan Edwards kae at ihuxl.UUCP
Tue Jun 26 11:21:43 AEST 1984

    It seems to me that if you don't leave 'root' logged in on your console
  terminal and you set your system's keylock switch (assuming you have one
  as a VAX or similar hardware has) in the correct position and you TAKE THE
  KEY, then you should not have problems?  Of couse if you don't have and/or do
  these, then I guess you do what you can.  I'd hate to try to login as root
  when /etc/passwd was trashed as was one of my experiences in the past.  I
  was glad single user came up as /bin/sh[root].
--

 -Alan Edwards
  IX 1C-423 x0879