"Optimal" terminal emulator for emacs, vi, ...?

Peter Rowley peterr at utcsrgv.UUCP
Mon Jun 11 05:39:46 AEST 1984

I'm looking for a good terminal emulator for an IBM PC.  While I've got lots
of programs to choose from, I'm not sure which terminal I want to emulate.
Though that sounds odd, it's because I don't care which terminal I "have",
as long as it works well (the best?) with "vi", "emacs", and, in general,
software that uses termcaps.  So,
 a) are there terminals better than a VT-100 for use with vi, emacs, etc..?
 b) are there terminal emulator programs for the PC that implement "ideal"
    vi/emacs/etc terminals?
 c) do you have a terminal emulator for the PC you particularly like?

As an aside, the 2nd issue of the "Whole Earth Software Review" contains
reviews of several communications programs, but doesn't mention the subject
of terminal emulation-- quite disappointing.  A good review of ThinkTank,
though.

peter rowley,  University of Toronto Department of C.S., Ontario Canada M5S 1A4
UUCP  {linus ihnp4 allegra floyd utzoo cornell decwrl uw-beaver}!utcsrgv!peterr
CSNet peterr at toronto