Sigstack and BSD 4.2

Karlos Mauvtaque kvm at basser.SUN
Mon Mar 19 03:15:42 AEST 1984

I don't agree about the joys of discovering a use for some 4.2 add.
If I needed something that only 4.2 has I would have to write it myself
so that my program would be portable.  It's little consolation for my
clients to be told that it would be all right if they had 4.2.

I also don't agree that changing undocumented behaviour of a library
call is a "bug fix".  (Incidently I tried the _filbuf thing on a local
Sys V site and things are still untouched, sdb still works without
changing your eof character!).

Here is an extract from an item of mail that I received following an
earlier 4.2 flame (sorry Ed):

	"4.2bsd may not be a total disaster, but it does a
	good job of emulating one.  Our system guru says he
	likes the kernel better than system 5's.  I
	wouldn't know -- I'm just a poor, bruised user."