lint problem? (4.1c-4.2)

jpayne%bbn-vax at sri-unix.UUCP jpayne%bbn-vax at sri-unix.UUCP
Wed Mar 7 08:04:33 AEST 1984

From:  Jonathan Payne <jpayne at bbn-vax>

The lint on SUN's 4.1c system, and I think the lint on 4.2 vax UNIX
is doing some weird things.  The version that prints:

filename(###): warning: ep unused in function xxx

instead of

"filename", line ###: warning: ep unused in function xxx

is the one that I'm talking about.  Anyway, this version of lint
complains about a whole bunch of variables that are used but not
defined.  The problem is that they ARE defined.  I think the problem
is only with variables that are declared extern and included in each
file (including the one with the actual declaration).  (There are a
bunch of files.) For example, one says:

this_cmd used( ???(327) ), but not defined

The "???" are real.  This is clearly a bug since it does compile.
And the exact same command with a different version of lint works
perfectly.