Some hacks I'll share!

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Sun Mar 11 17:33:50 AEST 1984

		2) A floating point load (double prec. again)
		   followed by a floating point store is just a weeeee
		   bit faster than the appropriate number of 'mov'
		   instructions (assuming the cache is disabled).
		   I'll bet on the 11/70 you could use floating point
		   load/stores for twice the speed over conventional
		   mov's.

You could use that as long as the Floating Interrupt on Uninitialized
Variable trap is disabled; otherwise, the bit pattern for -0.0 will cause
a trap.  (I assume that the floating load and store don't normalize, as
the "Min" and "Max" times for LDF are the same, which wouldn't be the case
if they normalized - unless there's a barrel shifter in there).

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy