4.2 died on our VAX.

William L. Sebok wls at astrovax.UUCP
Fri Mar 16 08:19:56 AEST 1984

> Is there any way to force a dump in these conditions? ...
>
> Mike Williams

I would like to see "take a coredump" as one of the options of the reboot
system call.  In fact I think I'll hack that in.
  There have been times when the system was very sick that the only cure was
rebooting yet one wanted a core dump to study.  Such a time was a year ago
when I was searching for why a process running versatec would hang in the
pagein() routine.  I solved it at the time by putting a "doomsday" ioctl call
(suser only, of course) into the dz driver which I happened to be playing with
at the time anyway.  It was rather fun to type "crash" and actually have it
happen.
--
Bill Sebok			Princeton University, Astrophysics
{allegra,akgua,burl,cbosgd,decvax,ihnp4,kpno,princeton,vax135}!astrovax!wls