Anyone interested in 'rtar' and 'rdd'? (re-posted)

donn at sdchema.UUCP donn at sdchema.UUCP
Mon Mar 12 13:39:43 AEST 1984

[This article apparently didn't make it off our site... sigh.]

After several exasperating experiences with 'rsh' and 'dd', I decided
to steal the remote tape routines from 'rdump' and install them in
'tar' and 'dd'.  The new programs, 'rtar' and 'rdd', do away with messy
fooling around with blocksizes over the Ethernet, avoid the problem
encountered with 'rsh' that prevents it from running in background, and
(subjectively) run much faster.

If enough people are interested, I will clean these up, write manual
pages and distribute them.  You can send me mail at either electronic
address below:

Donn Seeley    UCSD Chemistry Dept.       ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdchema!donn
32 52' 30"N 117 14' 25"W  (619) 452-4016  sdcsvax!sdchema!donn at noscvax